Submit Your Blog
What is a blog?
A blog is a written piece of content that we can use across a variety of our online platforms including visitgreatoceanroad.org.au, our destination websites and social media to encourage visitation to the region. In general, a blog:
- is written in the first person
- is informal and conversational
- has a distinct subject focus
- shares an observation, a learning, or a need-to-know piece of information
- is authentic and reflects your personality
- is not sales focused
What Could I Write About?
Anything you think would be of an interest to our visitors. To get some ideas you can visit our blog on visitgreatoceanroad.org.au
In particular, great content topics we love to share includes:
- interesting visitor experiences/stories
- something new about your business ie product, experience, event
- a unique or little-known fact about your business ie historical connection.
- divulging a ‘local secret’
- a story that can plug into our key seasonal marketing campaigns
There are two parts to a GORRT blog: the unique story angle to engage the reader; and the elaboration of the story to educate/inform/motivate the reader.
“When Harry met Sally: the couple who met on an Apollo Bay beach 40 years ago and returned to renew their vows.”
This story would talk about how the couple met, why they were visiting and how you crossed their path etc
It would give pointers about the most romantic places around Apollo Bay and along the GOR.
“It takes a village to make a pizza: why a Lorne pizzeria will ONLY use local produce”.
This story would focus on why the pizza is so amazing; why it’s important to the chef to source local food.
It would give pointers about seasonal food on the GOR and where to visit the producers involved with the pizza.
“How to find the tiniest inhabitants of the Otways forest floor”
This story would highlight ‘easy to miss’ treasures on the forest floor like marsupials, fungi and plants
It would give pointers about the best spots to ‘take your microscope’, as well as other similar spots on the GOR.
Examples – something a little simpler
- 5 cool things to do with the kids
- 5 free things to do in my town
- The itinerary I love to give visitors
- The best kept secret I know about the GOR
Ideally, your blog should:
- Be no longer than 500 words
- Be jam packed with searchable words and terms
- Have sub-headings and dot points for usability
- Feature simple language with minimal buzz words
- Include several high-resolution images (copyright free for easy sharing)
- Include a head and shoulders photo of you so we can credit the story to you
- A short bio to introduce you as an author
Need some photos of the region? We can help, just get in touch with email@example.com
I’m Ready to Submit my Blog or Idea
Still have questions?
Get in touch with our Marketing Officer, Beth
P: 0418 599 005